August 11, 2009

Busted, Broken, Striped

You know how you have all these ideas, some that work and some that don't?

Well this one worked!



It worked really well on Etsy while I was selling them. It just turned out to be something I LOVED the end product of, but something I began to DESPISE the process of.

So, in my efforts to share the wealth to anyone who wants to listen...here's how to make an

ANTIQUE WINDOW CHALK AND CORK BOARD

1. Buy or find an old antique window.
- I never spent more than $4 for one. Its best to find one with broken or missing glass panes since you'll be busting those out and they're usually marked down anyway.



2. Bust out all the glass and seal.
- I set the window face down on a trash can so when I busted the glass, it just fell into the trash.
- Some glass gets stubborn around the edges where the seal is, but you'll need to remove the seal as well so you have a lip to inlay your wood.

3. Sand the wood.
- Since old windows may have been painted will lead based paint, you need to wear a mask when sanding!
- TIP: the stained wood windows are TONS easier to sand than the painted window. So if you have a choice when buying, buy stained!
- Rub the wood clean of dust and grime. I always used mineral spirits.

4. Spray paint your window and all hardware the color of your choice.



5. Cut wood panes to fit using a lightweight wood.

6. Either paint with chalkboard paint or glue on cork.
- You can cut the cork to fit your pane and use spray adhesive to attach it. Use at least 2 layers of cork or your pin tack won't have anywhere to go when hanging photos.



7. Insert finished panes from the back and attach using a staple gun at an angle.

8. Cover the back with brown butcher paper for a finished look and attach hanging hardware.




It's a bit tedious, but the end product is well worth the effort!!!



1 comment:

Heather said...

These are awesome. I was at an auction a year ago and they had a ton of these that no one wanted so they sold them for $1 each. I only grabbed one and wish now I would have gotten more. These are so cute.