July 18, 2009

Mmmmm, Banana Pancakes

It's becoming a Saturday tradition that I make something syrupy (french toast, waffles, pancakes) for my small crew. But my specialty is

Banana Pancakes



Growing up my Dad always made them and still does: thin (almost crepe-like), not fluffy, sweet banana flavor, and homemade syrup! The beauty of having homemade syrup is that its not thick and overpowering so you can actually still taste the pancakes underneath. I guess I like everything about my pancake platter to be thin...too bad that's not the effect it has on me too.

While your griddle is heating up you can start your homemade syrup.

Homemade Syrup
- sugar
- water
- vanilla extract
- maple flavoring
- butter flavoring (optional)

It's 2/1 sugar to water, so whatever amount you want to make just adjust the ratio. I usually do the following: In a saucepan on the stove combine 2 cups of sugar with 1 cup water and heat to boiling, stirring occassionally. Once boiling, add a cap-full of vanilla extract and 2 cap-fulls of maple flavoring. Stir and remove from heat immediately after. (Once, I forgot and left it boiling and what did I get?...hard candy and a syrupy, messy, sticky, impossible to clean gas range!) I pour the syrup into a tupperware pitcher and store the leftovers in the fridge.

Banana Pancakes
- Pancake mix
- water
- ripe bananas

Add pancake mix, water (a little more than it calls for to account for the dense bananas), and at least 2 bananas (I used 3 this morning for extra sweetness) to a blender. Blend well. Pour on griddle until perfectly browned. Serve and relish the faces of delight.



No comments: